Unlocking a new area in Dream Town Story is not as easy as reaching the required rank and having the required resources. No, since this is a Kairosoft game, things get even more complicated and you must pass a test in order to keep the Area you have unlocked.
We’ve already touched this subject in our general Dream Town Story tips and tricks article, but since the matter is a bit more complex and many people are having trouble collecting the food points, gold coins or whatever requirements they have for that particular area, I am here to share with you a complete guide to unlocking new areas in Dream Town Story.
Because if you play this smart and do it right, you won’t have any trouble unlocking any of the new areas in the game and build the city of your dreams instantly. But it requires a bit of planning and understanding of the game’s mechanics.
So let’s not waste any time and let’s find out how to unlock a new area in Dream Town Story – and keep it afterwards!
1. Before spending the resources required to unlock the new area, you must make sure of a few things in advance:
– build roads and houses close to the new area. If you have residents nearby, it means that they will instantly start traveling to the new area and making purchases which will count as progress to meeting the requirements of that particular area.
– make sure you have enough money to start building some businesses in the new area and / or the option to move some buildings in there. Ideally, have the buildings ready to create a combo or two for added profits and land value.
– Also make sure that you have enough coins to build extra roads.
– Optional: if you’re planning to build some new houses in the new area, make sure that your population limit is not maxed out! Rank up if needed to unlock more residents.
2. Now that you’ve checked all these things, it’s time to unlock the new area. After you do so, you will get a random requirement: either collect the indicated number of gold coins in a specific period of time, or collect a special resource (like food, art etc). You can’t know for sure what you’re going to get – it seems to be random each time.
The easiest thing to do is to collect coins. If you get this challenge, simply make sure that you have as many businesses open in the new area and residents can access them. Usually, having 4-5 businesses is enough to collect all the required money without a problem.
If you get the challenge to collect a specific amount of the indicated special resource (like the food, bags, musical notes and so on), things are a bit more complicated.
In order to get these resources, you will need to have in the area buildings that have a shot at producing them. I haven’t been able to find a list in-game that shows which businesses produce the different special items, but using a bit of common sense and paying attention to the game as you play it will certainly help.
For example, food is produced by restaurants and fast foods, bags come from general store types of buildings, books from science-related ones and so on. In order for this special item to be generated, a customer needs to make a purchase and unlock a treasure from that store.
This takes time and a bit of luck – but the more residents you have in the area, the higher the chances to get this done quickly. There’s no easy way around, unfortunately.
3. Hold festivals in order to speed things up a little. There are various types of festivals you can hold in the game and they have various effects. For example, the Bird Watching festival will see your residents travel longer distances for 2 months, meaning that there will be more people in the new area.
The Bonsai Contest, for example, is extremely useful at getting food points and so on. Festivals help a lot when it comes to completing these tasks to unlock your new area, so make sure that you use them when given the chance. It’s also a good idea to start the unlock right before a festival month.
What if you don’t manage to meet the demands to unlock the new area?
If you are unable to meet the requirements before the time runs out, you shouldn’t panic. The game offers you 5 extra months in total (1 month each time) so you do have a lot of time to complete these. Plan your moves ahead as I recommended above and you won’t have to worry about this, though!
And this would be it. You know now all that you have to do in order to get your land in Dream Town Story and keep all the new areas that you unlock.