With the recent launch of Don’t Starve: Pocket Edition on the App Store, people now have a new chance at trying the amazing survival game on the go. And if you haven’t played the game yet, we are here to help: we’ll start a series of tips and tricks articles for Don’t Starve: Pocket Edition, and the first thing that we have to do is to make sure that you survive Day One in the game.
And not only survive it, but use it as the base for a great survival experience, one that will span over hundreds of days out there in the wilderness. But since we have to start somewhere, I’ve decided to actually go from the beginning and share with you a Don’t Starve Pocket Edition Guide to Day 1!
Explore smart and prepare for the first night. If you don’t do it smart, your first night will probably also be the last. Here is what I mean by smart exploring (while also preparing for the night):
– Try to cover an area that’s as large as possible, also taking into account all the resources that you encounter and gathering the basics;
– The basics are: enough Twigs, Rocks and Flint to make an Axe (ideally a Pickaxe too). Gather grass and cut down some trees to be able to make a fire. Don’t worry about rocks for the fire, you won’t be setting up camp just now;
– Gather a few berries and seeds too in order to make sure that you don’t… well… starve over the night;
– Set your camp near resources (but not too close to them not to risk them catching fire): start your fire as soon as night hits and work throughout the night: cut trees, grass or gather whatever resources you have nearby. The more you get, the better the foundation for the upcoming days.
– When exploring, be smart and notice all the resource areas that you encounter: try to find the rocks and the dense forest, maybe even the Pigs village and stay away from the Swamps for now. Be on the lookout for a place to set up permanent camp (we’ll talk more about that in a future article), but it’s OK if you don’t find it yet.
Day one in Don’t Starve: Pocket Edition is extremely important, and it does make a difference between a great survival experience or just one agonizing trip to the end. Make day one count and you’ll see the benefits!
If you want to know how to better survive the days after Day One, click here to check out our tips and tricks for the game!