0x00000017 may occur when launching Apex Legends through the Origin and Steam launchers. The error message states that “An error occurred while reading the pak file *****”. Typically, the cause behind this error is corrupted game files, but there are other causes as well. Let’s quickly go through the latter:
- Corrupted Apex Legends game files;
- Conflicts with programs running in the background;
- Outdated graphics drivers;
- Lack of certain updates in the Windows operating system.
Solution for Error 0x00000017 in Apex Legends
Typically, error 0x00000017 is a signal that some Apex Legends game files have been corrupted. A problem like this can be easily fixed by running a file integrity check in the launcher you are using. Here’s how it’s done in the Steam launcher:
- Open the library with your games;
- Right-click on Apex Legends and select “Properties”;
- Go to the “Local files” tab and click on the “Verify integrity of game files…” button;
- Wait for the scan to finish and download replacement files (if the damage is found);
- Launch Apex Legends.
Apex Legends will launch without problems; error 0x00000017 will not appear if the launcher has found and fixed corrupted game files. If not, you can try updating your drivers, and then you will be able to start playing for sure.