You can make a lot of games in 36 years. No one knows it better than Final Fantasy developers since there are quite a few titles falling under the huge umbrella of this popular video game franchise. The first Final Fantasy game appeared in 1987 in Japan and in 1990 in North America. Since then, we have seen numerous installments but also several remakes, spin-offs, and sequels.
No wonder the question of how many Final Fantasy games there are is not so simple to answer. However, if you’re interested in those numbers, this guide gathers all the information you need to keep the tab on this sprawling franchise.
How Many Final Fantasy Games Are There?
If you’re only interested in the main games, you probably already know that there are now 16 Final Fantasy games. Here’s the comprehensive list with the platforms each game was published for initially:
- Final Fantasy (1987)—Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Final Fantasy II (1988)—Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Final Fantasy III (1990)—Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Final Fantasy IV (1991)—Super NES
- Final Fantasy V (1992)—Super Famicom
- Final Fantasy VI (1994)—Super NES
- Final Fantasy VII (1997)—PlayStation
- Final Fantasy VIII (1999)—PlayStation
- Final Fantasy IX (2000)—PlayStation
- Final Fantasy X (2001)—PlayStation 2
- Final Fantasy XI: Online (2002)—PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows
- Final Fantasy XII (2006)—PlayStation 2
- Final Fantasy XIII (2009)—PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Final Fantasy XIV: Online (2010)—Microsoft Windows
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (2013)—PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows
- Final Fantasy XV (2016)—PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- Final Fantasy XVI (2023)—PlayStation 5
In addition to these mainline games, there are numerous supporting titles in the Final Fantasy franchise. They can be organized into various sub-sections, including:
- Main series sequels and spin-offs
- Ivalice Alliance games
- Final Fantasy VII compilations
- Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy subseries
- Final Fantasy XV Universe
- Artniks games
- Brave Exvius games
- Chocobo games
- Crystal Chronicles games
- Crystal Defenders games
- Dimensions games
- Dissidia games
- Explorers games
- SaGa games
- Theatrhythm games
- Unlimited games
- World games
Considering that the first six titles in the main series have also been remastered for mobile devices (the Pixel Remaster series), we can easily get to more than one hundred games that are related to the Final Fantasy universe.
Getting through all of that would require a lifetime of gaming, but if it all sounds too overwhelming, you can always just opt for the main 16 games. In any case, enjoy this amazing, long-lived franchise. If you get stuck in your playthrough of the most recent Final Fantasy XVI, check out our helpful guides in the dedicated Final Fantasy XVI section here on TouchTapPlay!
We are hiring game guide writers!
Touch, Tap, Play is looking for experienced writers to produce guides for popular mobile and Nintendo Switch titles. If mobile gaming is your passion and you want to get paid to create guides, you’re in the right place. Check out our job ad today!