Many professional players believe that Troll Warlord is a powerful hero who can have a great impact on the game. The proper Troll Warlord build will help you to unleash his full potential and win the majority of the matches in Dota 2. For newbies, our Troll Warlord build guide would be a perfect start to mastering Troll Warlord in Dota 2. So, if you were looking for a useful Troll Warlord build guide, this article is definitely worth reading!
Related: How To Fix “Searching For the Dota 2 Game Coordinator” Error
Troll Warlord Build Guide in Dota 2
To master Troll Warlord in Dota 2, you should start by learning the advantages and disadvantages of this hero. Troll Warlord has several powerful advantages:
- Сan stun and slow the enemy
- Farm fast
- A great hero for both solo and team ganks
- Strong hero at early, mid, and late game
- Great pusher
- A lot of armor at the beginning of the game
It may look like it is not that much, however, some of these advantages allow you to change your game style completely based on the situation in the game, especially after the latest updates on items and talents. On the other hand, Troll Warlord has some disadvantages as well:
- Very small mana pool
- Small Hp pool
- Need a lot of farming
- Hard to escape
Since Troll Warlord has these disadvantages, you should play carefully with this hero because every mistake can be fatal, and may lose the game.
Troll Warlord Talents Tree
- Level 10 unlocks +2s Whirling Axes debuff duration and +25 movement speed. The talent for movement speed will increase your farm, and debuff duration will make you stronger in the fights.
- Level 15 offers +90 Whirling Axes Damage or +5 Fervor attack speed, on this level, the choice is up to the situation in the game and your play style.
- Level 20 offers +10 Berserker’s Rage Armor or -15 Battle Trance cooldown. Both of these talents are extremely good, the choice should be based on your play style and the enemy’s heroes.
- Level 25 provides Battle Trance strong dispel and +15 Battle Trance movement speed. Obviously, both of these talents are great and depend on the situation in the game, and again the enemy’s heroes.
Troll Warlord Abilities
- The first ability is Berserker’s Rage. This is a universal ability because it switches melee attack to range attack and vice versa. Also, with each hit on the enemy, Troll Warlord’s armor increases, as well as attack speed and movement speed.
- The second ability is Whirling Axes. To use the second ability right, you should monitor whether your first ability is melee or switched to range attack. With a ranged attack, it slows enemies in an area, while with a melee attack, axes start to rotate around the Troll Warlord and remove almost 300 hit points while making opponents miss 60% with their physical attacks. Moreover, this works within 7 seconds, a truly powerful ability.
- The third ability is Fervor, and many players consider this to be one of the best passive abilities in the game. As Troll Warlord levels up, he greatly increases his attack speed. With each hit on the same enemy, Troll Warlord starts to attack faster and faster. Note that it works the same in both melees and ranged attack modes.
- The ultimate is called Battle Trance. Troll Warlord enters a berserk state, which means a massive increase in attack speed and movement speed. Also, the hero cannot be killed while the ultimate is active.
Troll Warlord Skill Build
There are two main variations of the Troll Warlord skill build. Using the first skill build, you should increase the level of the third passive skill (Fervor) first and then increase the level of the first skill (Berserker’s Rage). The other variation is almost the same, but in this case, you have to upgrade your first skill (Berserker’s Rage) and then start to increase the level of the third passive skill (Fervor).
In general, you need to act according to the situation. At the first level, be sure to take the first skill (Berserkers Rage). Later on, you will increase the level of the second skill, but the first and third skills should be on priority. Also, make sure to upgrade the ultimate (Battle Trance) when it is available.
Troll Warlord Item Build
There are two options for what you can buy at the beginning of the match:
- 2 Slippers of Agility, 1 Healing Salve, and 1 Tango
- 1 Quelling Blade, 1 Slippers of Agility, 1 Healing Salve, and 1 Tango
For the first 15-20 minutes, the task is to farm a few simple items. Those items depend on the situation and the enemy’s heroes, but in most cases, you should buy the next items:
- Phase Boots
- Magic Stick
- Morbid Mask
- Shadow Blade
During the midgame, you should buy several new items and upgrade the ones you already have:
- Vladmir’s Offering
- Black King Bar
- Sange and Yasha or Manta Style
- Silver Edge
For the late game, you will have to buy several items:
- Abyssal Blade
- Aghanim’s Shard
- Boots of Travel
In some situations, you will have to replace one of the listed items with Monkey King Bar against such heroes as Phantom Assassin and Wind Ranger. Also, in different situations, you can try to buy Eye of Skadi or Daedalus. These items would be great for Troll Warlord.
What Heroes Can Counter Troll Warlord?
To understand what heroes can counter Troll Warlord, you need to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses. As we discussed, Troll Warlord is a hero with a low HP pool and low magic resistance, pretty often not able to escape. That is why you better not play or play extremely carefully against the heroes who are able to outrun and control you. Such heroes are:
- Phantom Lancer
Also, be careful if the enemy team has a lot of magical damage, Troll Warlord would not be the best option against such heroes as:
- Skywrath Mage
- Queen of Pain
To sum up, this is a complete Dota 2 Troll Warlord build guide for newbies. This Troll Warlord build guide covered everything you need to know to master Troll Warlord in Dota 2. Good luck! Also, while you are here, make sure to read our article on how to get free arcana in Dota 2!
We are hiring game guide writers!
Touch, Tap, Play is looking for experienced writers to produce guides for popular mobile and Nintendo Switch titles. If mobile gaming is your passion and you want to get paid to create guides, you’re in the right place. Check out our job ad today!