The world of Age of Wonders 4 is full of diverse and wondrous races, ranging from the steadfast Humans, to the underground dwelling Molekins. Every race in the game has unique traits that separate them from the rest, but which ones are the best? Here are the best races in Age of Wonders 4.
The best races and traits to choose in Age of Wonders 4
Upon jumping into a new realm of Age of Wonders 4, you are prompted to choose a Faction. You can pick between the premade Factions, or create your own. When you create your own Faction, you get to pick the race and their Traits.
All races in the game have access to a Body and Mind Trait. Body Traits focus on improving physical combat attributes, while Mind Traits are more focused on utility. Each race has default Body and Mind Traits, but they can be changed freely. Here are all the default Traits:
- Human: Fast Recuperation, Adaptable
- Elfkin: Keen-Sighted, Arcane Focus
- Orcoid: Strong, Ferocious
- Dwarfkin: Tough, Defensive Tactics
- Halfling: Quick Reflexes, Elusive
- Goblinoid: Fast Recuperation, Sneaky
- Feline: Resolute, Desert Adaptation
- Ratkin: Quick Reflexes, Overwhelm Tactics
- Toadkin: Resilient, Water Adaptation
- Molekin: Bulwark, Underground Adaptation
Related | Which Faction Should You Join in Age of Wonders 4?
All Body Traits
- Bulwark: Defense Mode grants +2 Defense and Resistance.
- Fast Recuperation: Regenerate an additional +5 HP per World Map Turn.
- Hearty: +10 max HP.
- Keen-Sighted: +20% Accuracy on Physical Ranged and Magic attacks.
- Quick Reflexes: +30% ranged attack dodge chance.
- Resilient: +3 Status Resistance.
- Resistant: +2 Resistance.
- Resolute: Negative status effects last one less turn, with a minimum of 1 turn.
- Strong: +10% Melee and Physical Ranged damage.
- Tough: +2 Defense.
- Nightmare Mounts: Mounted units gain +10 max HP, the Intimidating Aura ability, and your Ruler starts with a Nightmare mount.
- Spider Mounts: Mounted units gain +10 max HP, the Web ability, and your Ruler starts with a Spider mount.
- Unicorn Mounts: Mounted units gain +10 max HP, the Phase ability, and your Ruler starts with a Unicorn mount.
- Wolf Mounts: Mounted units gain +10 max HP, the Pack Hunter passive ability, Enfeebling Howl ability, and your Ruler starts with a Wolf mount.
All Mind Traits
- Adaptable: All units gain +30% more experience.
- Arcane Focus: +15% Magic damage.
- Cold Blooded: -50% Morale lost from all sources.
- Defensive Tactics: +1 Defense and Resistance when standing next to an ally with Defensive Tactics. Does not stack.
- Elusive: +6 Defense and Resistance against Retaliation and Opportunity Attacks.
- Fast Initiative: Move up to 6 hexes during the first turn of combat.
- Ferocious: +40% Retaliation and Opportunity damage.
- Overwhelm Tactics: +20% Critical Hit chance when standing next to an ally with Overwhelm Tactics. Does not stack.
- Sneaky: +25% Flanking damage.
- Tenacious: Casualties’ damage penalty is halved.
- Arctic Adaptation: Moving across Snow and Ice terrain costs 2 less Move Points. Farms can be built on Snow.
- Desert Adaptation: Moving across Sand terrain costs 2 less Move Points. Farms can be built on Sand.
- Underground Adaptation: Moving across Cavern Floor, Mushroom Forest, Fungus Fields, and Rocky terrain costs 2 less Move Points. Farms can be built on Cavern Floors.
- Water Adaptation: Moving across Swamp terrain costs 2 less Move Points. Farms can be built on Swamp.
So, as you can probably guess, there is no easy answer as to which Traits are the best. Each Trait is suited for a specific play style, so this is more of a case where you pick whichever ones appeal the most to how you play Age of Wonders 4.
For Body Traits, choose the Trait that best compliments your attacking style. For example, if you are planning to charge into battle with melee weapons, Strong and Hearty are good options. If you are planning to use mostly Mounted units, any of the Mount Traits are great choices.
The same goes for the Mind Traits—choose one that compliments both your play style and whatever you picked for your Body Trait. If you are more worried about logistics, the Adaptation Traits are good choices for when you want to build in an unconventional location.
The Trait system is similar to Age of Wonders 4’s theme of experimentation, so there are all sorts of combinations you can come up with. What are some of your favorite Traits and combos? Let us know in the comments below.
We are hiring game guide writers!
Touch, Tap, Play is looking for experienced writers to produce guides for popular mobile and Nintendo Switch titles. If mobile gaming is your passion and you want to get paid to create guides, you’re in the right place. Check out our job ad today!