Despite being a spin-off game that plays differently from the main entries in the series, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin still comes with many of the mechanics that make all the other Monster Hunter games so fun to play, such as different weapon types with different properties.
Knowing which weapon to use and what it does exactly is extremely important to have as little trouble as possible during the adventure. Here’s everything you need to know about them.
All Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin Weapon Types Explained
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin features six different weapon types – Great Sword, Sword and Shield, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Bow and Gunlance. These weapons deal, respectively, Slash damage, Blunt damage and Piercing damage, which is more or less effective depending on the monster.
You can carry up to three weapons at any time, and you can switch between them in combat via the Skills menu. The game also tells you which weapon is more effective against any monster you are attacking by highlighting it in blue if it is effective, or with a red slash if it is not after attacking an enemy. If a monster is weak against a certain damage type, you will have a higher chance of breaking one of its body parts.
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin Weapon Skills
All weapons in Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin come with Equipment Skills that can be unleashed by building up the Kinship Gauge during combat. To use these abilities, you will have to select them in the Skills menu.
All weapons also come with type-specific special abilities that can be unleashed by fulfilling certain conditions.
- Great Swords can perform powerful Charged attacks by filling up a special Gauge via Charge attacks. Charged Attacks are considerably more powerful than regular attacks.
- Sword and Shield can use two special commands, Guard and Counter Stance, without having to fulfill any special condition. The first allows you to reduce damage, while the second reduces damage while letting you unleash a special counterattack.
- Hammers unleash a variety of special skills that change depending on the hammer by filling up a special gauge. This gauge is filled by simply attacking enemies.
- Hunting Horns can use a variety of special buffing abilities by using the Kinship Gauge. No special gauge is available for these weapons.
- Bows also use the Kinship Gauge to power up arrows with special materials to inflict status ailments like Poison. Bows can also be charged to unleash more damage the next turn.
- Gunlances come with a special meter that is used to unleash ranged attacks using bullets. Wyvern Blast, on the other hand, requires the Kinship Gauge to be full. Gunlances can also use the Guard special command to reduce received damage.